Sleep Basics for Professionals Helping Parents: The 1st Year of Sleep
Jen Varela, Certified Gentle Sleep Coach ® – Pediatric Sleep Consultant
Airway Circle Online Course 2021-2022
Jen Varela, Certified Gentle Sleep Coach and Sugar Night Night owner will talk about what sleep looks
like in the first year of life. Many variables impact sleep, especially in the first six months of a baby’s life.
Due to the fluctuations in sleep, parents often feel overwhelmed because they don’t know what it
means to “sleep like a baby.” Learn how you can support the parents you work with who are struggling
– Realistic expectations for you to share with your patients on what a baby is capable of with sleep within the first year of life
– How a parent can gently shape their newborn’s sleep habits
– When is it appropriate to consider sleep training: Coaching a baby to learn the skills of self-soothing
– Physiological and organic contributors causing disrupted sleep
– The key facts about sleep science and sleep hygiene in the first year of life Jen works diligently to provide solutions that bring hope. Jen will discuss solutions that address the parents’ goals, parenting style, child’s temperament, and sleeping arrangements – including co-sleeping/bed-sharing, room sharing, and sleeping in a separate room. You will learn how sleep science supports parental intuition. Jen’s methods keep tears at a minimum for mom, dad, and baby while
helping the family get to sleep.